jeudi 29 avril 2010

Normandy the region of " Flax"



 What a lovely fabric is linen! Cool in the summer , it's very confortable to wear. Now  it exist in light shades and makes very clothes.
Two years ago we had a flax field next to our house, this year i saw it was peas...not so nice!
the is a marvellous plant, a living plant. In the morning it's an intense light green and as the day carries on , it becomes a very pale blue .In  the evening the flowers close again.I took some pictures of the field .






FROM THE THREAD IT IS TRANSFORMED INTO LINEN






The linen sheets of our grandmothers were confortable and fresh.
Dried flax flowers. when it begins to be a thread.


I hope you enjoyed the pictures, next time i will try to take pictures of these beautiful linen clothes with laces and light colors i saw( if i am allowed) have a good rest, in France on the first of May it's working day, but  "we don't work "!!!(Have a look at yesterday's post on colors...)

12 commentaires:

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage a dit…

Catherine these photo's are just wonderful! The flax threads in the one picture look like handfulls of long hair LOL! I love linen. I still have some old tablecloths and tea towels made of linen that were my Nana's. She used to tell me they were the best for drying glasses because they didn't leave lint. I don't use them anymore as I want to keep them to pass to my daughters one day. Thank you for sharing the linen process with us and what beautiful fields you have around you...especially when they were growing flax! Take care. Maura:)

Julie Harward a dit…

That was interesting...I have never thought about linen much other that it wrinkles too fast! Thanks for sharing that. (I would be tempted to go pick some peas) Come say hi :D

Sharon a dit…

Such a interesting post and such beautiful photo's. The field of blue so beautiful. I am so glad you took the time to photograph it and enjoy it.

~*~ saskia ~*~ a dit…

Oh my, Catherine, I adore linen, so glad it's Spring again and my linen clothes are in my closet again ;)
Your post is great, off to read it once again, enjoying your gorgeous pictures!
Have a great weekend, Catherine. xx

Prulletje a dit…

oh what a great story and beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing I enjoyed it vey much,
with love,
Elise

Pilar a dit…

Me ha gustado mucho ver los campos de lino ,nunca había tenido la oportunidad de ver uno y son muy bellos.
Yo tengo sábanas ,toallas y un mantel de hilo que me regaló mi madre cuando me casé y los atesoro de forma muy especial ,son magníficos solo tienen un pequeño defecto:se arrugan muchísimo!!!
Aquí en España ,el sábado también es el día del trabajador ,es un día festivo en el que "nadie" trabaja y el domingo ,2 de mayo celebramos el día de la madre,(el día de todas las que somos mamás).
Un abrazo muy fuerte Catherine ,y buenas noches.

Madelief a dit…

Dear Catherine,

I did not know that linnen was made from this little flower! To have such fiels nearby....you live in such a beautiful environment. A city girl like me can only dream of places like this.

Looking forward to the linnen clothes you will hopefully show. Good luck!!

Happy friday!

Lieve groet, Madelief

Beatnheart a dit…

Great photos and info Catherine...I'd love to get my hands on some of that yardage(the piles of it folded)
oh boy...What a beautiful area to live...lucky you..Cynthia

It's me a dit…

O Catherine i adore linnen !!.i have much linnen clothes in my wardrobe..................i relly like it..............nice beautiful pictures.............relax those days !! i am free till thuesday........jippie !!!.......have a great Friday,....hugs from me Ria

The Strawberry Mallard a dit…

What beautiful photographs!
Flax...one of my favorite things; so happy to have found your blog!

Eva a dit…

Wow! I think that you live in a very beautiful place. I have learn a lot of things about linnen reading your post. So nice because I love to wear white linen in summer (it is a pity that needs to be ironed...)
So fresh!

Bleudelavande a dit…

Such a fantastic post, I love very very much linnen and its little and delicates flowers!!!
Tank you for sharing such interesting informations too!!!!
Big hugs